International Cesarean Awareness Network

I wanted to mention a wonderful organization to you all today. From their web site (in italics):

The International Cesarean Awareness Network, Inc (ICAN) was formed over 25 years ago in order to support women in their journey towards understanding the risks of cesarean section and with the purpose of helping them have healthy births and healthy lives after undergoing the surgery that changed them.


Twenty-six years later, many women are still being told the same reasons why they must have a cesarean or why they cannot have a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) despite more and more research that states that cesarean surgery should not be taken lightly and that vaginal birth after cesarean should be encouraged in order to reduce further risks to both mother and baby.


In my opinion, every pregnant woman should take some time to educate herself at the ICAN web site. You matter, and your birth matters.

I have six children. I've given birth six times in six different ways. I can tell you that having educated myself about normal birth and the valid (and not valid) reasons for cesarean sections and other interventions have served me well. Two of my children were born via c-section (my 4th and 6th) and both were for excellent, valid reasons. I am not *against* c-sections, but I am against women being bullied, lied to, and forced into c-sections for no good reason. Knowledge is power, girls.

~Erica

No comments: