The Gift of Silence: Military Momma

I happen to have a high-spirited two year old who hardly ever sleeps through the night without a peep. She will put up a fight when you put her in the room for the night that sometimes lasts hours. Her favorite torture is the scream "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" continuously for an hour, only interrupting her chant when she breathes in. When she does fall asleep she will wake up an average of twice a night, sometimes as much as 6 times a night depending how restless she is.

She is a very light sleeper so even the wind outside her window is a potential opening for an hour long scream season in the wee hours. After such a restless night, you'd think she'd sleep in but NO! she's up at the crack of dawn, sometimes before dawn, off and running. She's been this way since the day she was born, and I can count on one hand the number of restful nights sleep I've gotten in the past 2 and a half years. It wears on you.

Enter my husband. He is great at thinking up romantic presents, or gifts that are so me but this Valentines Day he out did himself. He gave me the best gift ever: a restful nights sleep. He gave me earplugs. Not just any earplugs, the industrial grade ear plugs soldiers use while on the firing range! To anyone else, this would seem like a stupid valentines day gift. To me, it was an acknowledgment that he understood I work hard, and I'm exhausted. Best present ever!

DebD, Military Momma

www.DunkDesigns.com

No comments: